1. Wang JC, Bennet M. Aging and atherosclerosis. Circulation Research. 2012;111(2),245-259.
2. Selvin E, Coresh J, Golden SH, et al. Glycemic control, atherosclerosis, and risk factors for cardiovascular disease in individuals with diabetes. Diabetes Care. 2005; 28(8), 1965-1973.
3. Nasiri K, Michos ED, Rumberger JA, et al. Coronary artery calcification and family history of premature coronary heart disease: sibling history is more strongly associated than parental history. Circulation. 2004; 110(15), 2150-2156.
4. Hurtubise J, McLellan K, Durr K, et al. The different facets of dyslipidemia and hypertension in atherosclerosis. Current Atherosclerosis Reports. 2016; 18(12), 82.
5. Handelsman Y, Shapiro MD. Triglycerides, atherosclerosis, and cardiovascular outcome studies: focus on omega-3 fatty acids. Endocrine Practice. 2017; 23(1), 100-112.
6. Ahmadi-Abhari S, Sabia S, Shipley MJ, et al. Physical activity, sedentary behavior, and log-term changes in aortic stiffness: the Whitehall II Study. Journal of the American Heart Association. 2017; 6(8).
7. Lovren F, Teoh H, Verma S. Obesity and atherosclerosis: mechanistic insights. Canadian Journal of Cardiology. 2015; 31(2), 177-183.
8. Wang Z, Wang D, Wang Y. Cigarette smoking and adipose tissue: the emerging role in progression of atherosclerosis. Mediators of Inflammation. 2017, 3102737.
9. Liu B, Zhang Y, Wang R, et al. Western diet feeding influences gut microbiota profiles in apoE knockout mice. Lipids in Health and Disease. 2018; 17(1), 159.
10. Torres N, Guevara-Cruz M, Velázquez-Villegas L, et al. Nutrition and atherosclerosis. Archives of Medical Research. 2015; 46(5), 408-426.
11. Hong YM. Atherosclerotic cardiovascular disease beginning in childhood. Korean Circulation Journal. 2010; 40(1);1-9.
12. Ros E, Martínez-González MA, Estruch R, et al. Mediterranean diet and cardiovascular health: teachings of the PREDIMED study. Advances in Nutrition. 2014; 5(3),330A336S.
13. Martínez-González MA, Gea A, Ruiz-Canela M. The Mediterranean diet and cardiovascular disease. Circulation Research. 2019; 124, 779-798.
14. Davis CR, Hodgson JM, Woodman R, et al. A Mediterranean diet lowers blood pressure and improves endothelial function: Results from the MedLey randomized intervention trial. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. 2017; 105(6), 1305-1313.
15. Estruch R, Martínez-González MA, Corella D, et al. Effects of a Mediterranean-style diet on cardiovascular risk factors: a randomized trial. Annals of Internal Medicine. 2006; 145(1), 1-11.
16. Cheng YC, Sheen JM, Hu WL, et al. Polyphenols and oxidative stress in atherosclerosis-related ischemic heart disease and stroke. Oxidative Medicine and Cellular Longevity. 2017, 8526438.
17. Reid K, Travica N, Sali A. The effects of aged garlic extract on blood pressure and other cardiovascular risk factors in uncontrolled hypertensives: the AGE at Heart trial. Integrative Blood Pressure Control. 2016; 9, 9-1.
18. Zeb I, Ahmadi N, Nasir K, et al. Aged garlic extract and coenzyme Q10 have favorable effect on inflammatory markers and coronary atherosclerosis progression: a randomized clinical trial. Journal of Cardiovascular Disease Research. 2012; 3(3), 185-190.
19. Shaikh K, Kinniger A, Cherukuri L, et al. Aged garlic extract reduces low attenuation plaque in coronary arteries of patients with diabetes: a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study. Experimental and Therapeutic Medicine. 2020; 19(2), 1457-1461.
20. Lee BJ, Tsng YF, Yen CH, et al. Effects of coenzyme Q10 supplementation (300 mg/day) on antioxidation and anti-inflammation in coronary artery disease patients during statin therapy: a randomized, placebo-controlled trial. Nutrition Journal. 2013; 12(1), 142.
21. Deichmann R, Lavie C, Andrews S. Coenzyme Q10 and statin-induced mitochondrial dysfunction. Ochsner Journal. 2010; 10(1), 16-21.
22. Zhang Y, Liu J, Chen XQ, et al. Ubiquinol is superior to ubiquinone to enhance coenzyme Q10 status in older men. Food & Function. 2018; 9(11), 5653-5659.
23. Malekmohammad K, Sewell RDE, Rafieian-Kopaei M. Antioxidants and Atherosclerosis: Mechanistic Aspects. Biomolecules. 2019;9(8):301.
24. Massy AZ, Brüeke TB. Magnesium and outcomes in patients with chronic kidney disease: focus on vascular calcification, atherosclerosis, and survival. Clinical Kidney Journal. 2012; 5(Suppl 1), i52-i61.
25. Cunha RA, D’El-Rei J, Medeiros F, et al. Oral magnesium supplementation improves endothelial function and attenuates subclinical atherosclerosis in Thiazide-treated hypertensive women. Journal of Hypertension. 2017; 35(1), 89-97.
26. Kostov K, Halacheva L. Role of magnesium deficiency in promoting atherosclerosis, endothelial dysfunction, and arterial stiffening as risk factors for hypertension. International Journal of Molecular Science. 2018; 19(6).
27. Shoi A, Moroioka T, Shoji T, et al. The inhibitory roles of vitamin K in progression of vascular calcification. Nutrients. 2020; 12(2).
28. Beulens JW, Bots ML, Atsma F, et al. High dietary menaquinone intake is associated with reduced coronary calcification. Atherosclerosis. 2009; 203, 489-493.
29. Geleijnse JM, Vermeer C, Grobbee DE, et al. Dietary intake of menaquinone is associated with a reduced risk of coronary heart disease: the Rotterdam Study. Journal of Nutrition. 2004; 134, 3100-3105.
30. Ranasinghe P, Wathurapatha WS, Ishara MH, et al. Effects of zinc supplementation on serum lipids: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Nutrition & Metabolism. 2015; 12, 26.
31. Jenner A, Ren M, Rajendran R, et al. Zinc supplementation inhibits lipid peroxidation and the development of atherosclerosis in rabbits fed a high cholesterol diet. Free Radical Biology & Medicine. 2007; 41(4), 559-566.
32. Zhu D, Su Y, Zheng Y, et al. Zinc regulates vascular endothelial cell activity through zinc-sensing receptor ZnR/GPR39. American Journal of Physiology. Cell Physiology. 2018; 314(4), C404-C414.